Sunday, March 7, 2010

Run For Literacy 8K

Flash flood right before the start. Lovely.

Holly and Sara, two of my awesome teammates who are also running partners of mine.

Waiting for the start and hoping the rain would let up before the race. No such luck!

A portion of 163 South was closed to traffic for the race.

What a run! Run for Literacy 8K (just under 5 miles) is a fundraiser for literacy programs in San Diego. It started in Balboa Park, wound its way down Highway 163 and finished at Pantoja Park on G. Street in downtown San Diego. My race day plan was to beat the people walking with umbrellas and strollers!

It was POURING RAIN, specifically flash flood conditions before the start. Met up with about 70 of my teammates under the awning of The Hall of Champions museum in Balboa park right by the start, one of the only dry places to wait! The first mile went well, was fun to run through the park, by the museums and 6th Ave in Balboa Park. Saw one of the team captions Joe along the way, as well as my hubby who was trying to figure out where to park! My shin splints were REALLY hurting so I unfortunately had to walk for a bit- almost screamed out in pain when I stopped to stretch! Ran the last mile, twisting my ankle badly in the process on a pothole in the road. But was fantastic to cross the finish line and see my coach and teammates cheering me on. GO TEAM!

Bib: 3123
Name: Kelly Moncure
Gender: F
Age: 39
Hometown: San Diego, CA
Overall: 1677 out of 2110
Women: 965 out of 1286
F 35-39: 152 out of 198
Age/Grade: 31.44%
Place: 1753
Finish: 1:18:54 Pace: 15:53
Tag Time: 1:18:54
Gun Time: 1:21:07

15 minute miles are actually pretty good considering I only ran maybe 3? miles of it, and spent at least 10 minutes of the time waiting in line at a Sunoco for a restroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment