Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Wednesday Treadmill Run

Today was an okay run, had a rough start...wanted to run at the Canyon for a soft surface because of my poor abused shins, but it was closed because of the rains. I was a little iffy to do it alone anyway because of the Chelsea King murder that happened just 20 minutes north of me. YIKES! I HATE that as a woman I can't run a trail alone in the middle of the day without worrying that some psycho might come and rape or murder me.

From the trail I went to Lake Miramar and went less then a quarter mile on the pavement before my shins starting screaming at me- NO WAY! So, the treadmill it was. Ran 3 miles with another 1/2 mile walk (1/4 mile warm up, 1/4 mile cool down) with negative splits- ran 5 minutes, walked 1 minute and increased the speed each run interval. Started with 4.0 and ended with 4.6 (?) I think a 14 to a 12 minute mile pace. I've GOT to run a bit faster, this completely back of the pack thing is getting a bit old. I don't mind being slow, but I don't want to be left behind. While I was running I saw on TV live news coverage of charges that were brought to John Gardner and I applauded to see he would be held without bail until his trial in a couple of weeks.

Went to a launch party of the San Diego Rock n' Roll marathon and half marathon at the House of Blues where the race director went over the course and Steve Scott, who has run 136 sub 4:00 miles spoke. The person that won the NYC marathon last year, Meb Keflezighi, will be heading up the 1/2 marathon too! We were told how lucky we are as marathoners, because what other competition would we get to be in the same race as some of the top athletes in the world?

1 comment:

  1. Good job for starting your intervals! I need to start that too. I am also very saddened about what happened to Chelsea King, I only live a couple miles away and go to that park quite frequently. I ran in the trails today in Torrey Pines and was very paranoid. so I feel you on being a woman, forget just trails but being outside alone just about anywhere is potentially dangerous!

    -Mentor Melissa
    PS Way to go on the fundraising!!!

    ReplyDelete