Saturday, May 8, 2010

Coronado Run

I've got three weeks until the 1/2 marathon. Three weeks! Today was supposed to be a back down week and only 6 miles for the 1/2 marathon group, but since I've got to make up my miles and the longest I've really done is 6 miles, I decided to do the marathon training run and did- gasp- 9.2 miles. 9.2 very long miles, but along Coronado so I can't complain. We met at Tidelands Park at 7 am along with three other marathon training groups- I guess it's a popular place to meet!

I was doing 5 minute run, 1 minute walks, then met up with a group that was doing 6 minute miles, two minute walks and quite frankly I LOVE my recoveries so I joined them. I swiftly went to the rear (I know I'm getting faster, but so is everyone else!) and was joined by the sweeper, Tina, who helped me go for miles while chatting. I said I should be the sweeper (the appointed last runner who makes sure everyone's okay) on the runs from here on in since I'm so good at it! I felt like absolute garbage the first couple miles, but then my body went, oh, okay, I guess I can do it, and I just plugged through it.

After Tina went back with the half marathon group, my buddy Joe came on as the sweeper and joined me for the other part of the run. Did I mention how much I love running with other people? It just makes the miles fly by, and so much more pleasurable. At the aid stand just before the 9.2 mile turnaround, I was going to head back but I had everyone there cheer me on to get to the turnaround point, which was two rocks leaning towards each other like a butt. Imagine hearing six people yell, "Touch the butt! Touch the butt!!" Of course it was like a mirage and so much further then it looked, but it was awfully satisfying to touch the butt : )

The last three miles I was joined by the TNT mentor David, who is doing the Rock n' Roll marathon on a hand bike. I had never really talked to him before, just knew he was from Indiana and was very friendly, and whenever he goes by me in the handbike it makes me go faster. Turns out this is his twentieth race with Team in Training and has been part of the group since 1998. He had done numerous marathons and two ironman triathlons and in 2001 (?) he did the Alaska marathon with TNT, went hiking a few days later, fell, and crushed several vertibae in his spinal cord. He said he had done NYC the year before, and when he was in Alaska was supposed to do NYC so was able to transfer his entry to his nurse, and did the race the next year in his hand bike.

I can't even begin to tell you what an inspiration David is. He has a wonderful, cheerful outlook on life, and while we did the last three miles together he was telling me all about his races. He was also constantly checking on me- how are my feet, how are my shins...it made me want to cry (I did a little but hopefully I was able to hide it). I feel so blessed to have been able to spend that time with David.

Afterwards we went as a group to the Beach N' Diner on Orange Ave in Coronado for a celebratory breakfast! Here's Assistant Coach David having his post run meal of chicken n' waffles and a chocolate shake- ummm!

No comments:

Post a Comment