Monday, February 1, 2010

Monday Night Training


Did I say how nice it is to train in San Diego, particularly in the winter? It was 55 degrees tonight, perfect running weather.

Met up with a couple Team in Training teammates at a park in Pacific Beach and ran along the boardwalk to Mission Bay- just under 4 miles. I'm trying to do a run- walk program to wean myself into training and prevent injuries (as much as is possible with training for a marathon) but I've got to train my body to get used to it. Unfortunately my legs become "dead" pretty quickly when I start running again after taking a walking break and I'm not able to keep the momentum up. There were several moments of grace though, where the running was effortless and I said to myself, okay, this is going where I want it to be, I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. The two other people were faster/ didn't take walking breaks but kept coming back to check on me (so nice) because as the woman said, she was in the Navy and you don't leave anyone behind. It's definitely a bit frustrating to be in the back of the pack but she said to not compare myself to others, just plug at it, it's the start of training, so... I did complete the route, granted probably 1/3 of that was walking but it's still good to get the miles in, even if it is walking. And I also feel a HECK of a lot better then I did on Saturday.

One thing running has given me is the opportunity to see, really see things I might not ordinarily see. It has permitted me to see the entire island of Bermuda during the 1/2 marathon, beautiful courses in Central Park, gorgeous parks all over New York, the NYC skyline at sunrise, and now Pacific Beach at night. I was completely overwhelmed with how beautiful the ocean was, and all the amazingly appointed homes along the boardwalk. I feel very lucky to be able to experience this!

No comments:

Post a Comment