Saturday, February 27, 2010

NTC Park- In the RAIN!

It does not rain very often in San Diego, and when it does, it is MISERABLE. The city isn't planned out well for rainfall so there is a lot of flooding, especially where we had our 7 am run in Point Loma which is below sea level. This photo below is from when I tried driving on Midway Drive in Point Loma about a month ago, but really I was floating...very nerve wracking!

Notice how the flooded street is all the way up to the car's bumper!

I was scheduled to do 7 miles today as part of the A marathon group, and as I drove through torrential rain I was really questioning my sanity in doing so. We met at a beautiful park and were all sporting umbrellas as the coach and coordinator gave announcements, laughing at how hard it was raining and how soaked we were becoming! The coach said that we were WARRIORS for being there and that when we gear up at the starting line we'll remember this day.

I gotta tell you, running through the rain was not a lot of fun. It was more like a hail rain that went right in my eyes, in addition to high winds (did I mention there was a tsunami warning?) although admittedly I was laughing at how miserable it was. I kept repeating the breathing mantra, "My" (breath 4) "Name" (breath 4) "Is" (breath 4) "Kelly" (breath 4) which did make me feel like a warrior or a battered soldier. Kept running through flooded sidewalks making my sneakers soaked through and about 5 pounds heavier. Went about a mile and a half (?) when my calves started screaming and my achilles started in with the weird rubberband feel and I thought, uh oh, I gotta stop. Stupidly I didn't wear the heel lifts because I felt so much better but it's like antibiotics, you have to take the full prescription before stopping. I walked back to the start slightly dejected but also really happy that I had the experience, and with the runner's happiness. I actually felt great. Plus the rain had let up a bit and it was so beautiful there.

Since I was determined to finish the mileage, I went to the gym where I put on a set of dry clothes and cranked out 5 miles on the treadmill. Well, more like 4 mile run, 1 mile walk, but I'm still absolutely amazed and proud of myself for doing it.
Total Distance: 7- 7 1/2 miles : )

1 comment:

  1. You're a total rockstar for actually attempting the run in the rain! I got out of bed, got dressed and ready to head out, and it was POURING. And I just couldn't do it (I've been fighting a cold all week...) so I put my PJs back on and went back to bed. After reading your post, I'm a little sorry I missed it! But I just cranked out my 5 miles on the treadmill too, so now I'm not feeling quite so guilty. Hope to see you next week :)

    ReplyDelete